Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Obama Hangover

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Democratic party I was just LOOKING for any excuse to vote for Obama. Why?...simply put, he just seemed to be a "really nice guy". I had this silly little daydream featuring Barack and I sipping a glass of Merlot (he doesn't seem like a "beer guy") and having a few good common laughs with myself going away thinking; "dude, you're pretty cool for a politician"...something I couldn't envision with McCain (even though I've personally met and liked...). But, mostly I thought if the majority of this country would elect a *black man (*I never know what the most gracious term to use is so I'll use the term Obama uses for himself in his autobiography when his ethnicity is pertinent...) it would go a long way toward healing the underlying racial wounds in America that are still very real.

...the Reverend Wright "headache":

So, I was sadly disappointed when I learned that Obama has a "spiritual mentor" who I have heard endless, sermon excerpts (context filled btw...) that I would consider bigoted if not racist, anti-semitic, and falsely and venomously anti-American. Obama has not only attended this church for 20 years, he supported this Church to the tune of $27.500 last year. He said part of him wanted to "punch his (white) friend" (from Obama's own autobiography) for nothing more than empathizing with him about being surrounded by white folks all the time. Sheez, I would kiss anyone who would ever empathize with me for just 1 second of my life! In his Autobiography he called his grandmother a "typical white woman"... uh... seriously!? ATTENTION: let it hereby be publicly stated, if I ever start ANY sentence with the words "typical black ____" you have the full right (if NOT the obligation) to punch me in the throat!

...the "Christian" "nausea":

He had also claimed to be a Christian, and quoted scripture freely, so I thought "awesome, a Christian". But I've found his version of Jesus to have NOTHING to do with the historical one. His Church and his spiritual mentor preaches a "Jesus" sent as "black liberator" seeking economic justice rather than the true Son of God sent seeking the salvation of mankind's fallen soul and declaring peace with God. So, is it idolatry or Christianity? Only God knows, but I fear the latter.

...the "grandchild = punishment" "spins":

The KICKER was (in an interview this past April 1st - not fooling btw...) when he was referring to how he would rather have his own daughter have an abortion rather than face the "punishment" for her pregnancy. SIR, YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT YOUR GRANDCHILD! So, now I'm sobbing inside not only at the idea that he considers an unborn human being a "punishment" (God calls a child a blessing from HIM...) BUT HE WOULD RECOMMEND KILLING HIS OWN GRANDCHILD IN THE WOMB!... I look at my 2 week old daughter and I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT FATHOM THE DEPTH OF BRAZEN INHUMANITY A HUMAN CAN HAVE to say something like that! While I sympathize with his view that it is a grave horror that coalition forces have unintentionally caused approx. 33,000 civilian casualties (deriv. Human Rights Watch) in Iraq, but his side ignores the 1.1 million intentionally killed in the womb in those same 5 years in the US. Someones moral compass is not only broken but it is smashed to tiny bits!

...the social spending "dry heaves":

Also, Obama is a huge fan of the gratuitous spending of OTHER PEOPLES MONEY for any and every social program. I say that because if I were to document the social spending he was NOT in favor of, it would yield 0 results... It is COMPASSION, and commanded by Christ to give to the poor, visit the sick, and clothe the naked, BUT it is the SIN OF COVET to force your neighbor to do it! You have no right to your neighbors property even if it is for a "good cause" in your opinion.

So, it comes down to this: I wish I could vote for the guy, but as a Christian I can't. NOT because politics accomplish the purposes of God, but simply this:

I cannot call myself a "Christian" and embrace and support the things God hates. Isaiah said "woe unto those who call good: evil, and evil; good" I'm not crazy about the Republican Party either, and McCain specifically, but Obama has to to be a "NO" for me. *If your political passions trump your passion for God's word please spare me and don't call yourself a Christian; its an insult for you to expect me to take your faith more seriously than you do.

So, the choice this year is the party whose prized value is GREED (Red) or the party whose prized value is killing the unborn (Blue) ... great choice eh? Someone hand me the Alka-Seltzer...

PS: I'd love be "talked off the ledge" here, if you think you can...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

genius. pure genius. thank you.

amber kay
(aka seth's sister)

happymess said...

there are two geniuses i admire greatly.
YOU..
and the other you know and equally love.
please write a book or something.
this stuff is absolute briliance.
thank you.